We’ve set up this website to keep you up to date on what your Labour councillors are doing locally, how we’re addressing the issues you raise with us and also invite your views on what you want to see done in Stoke Newington. We also intend this blog to be a community information site – we will post details of meetings, events, campaigns and news from the Council.
It’s also an opportunity to celebrate Stoke Newington, and please do email us if you would like to list a restaurant, café, bar, pub, shop or other local facility, in the directory we have started compiling.
As you may be aware there was recently a by-election in Stoke Newington Central, and Cllr Louisa Thomson has joined Cllrs Rita Krishna and Muttalip Unluer as your Labour representatives. The recent election result was a big vote of confidence in what Labour are doing locally – Louisa won with a 48% share of the vote, and a majority of 379 over the second placed candidate. Full results here.
The campaign gave us a renewed opportunity to meet and speak to a huge number of local residents in the ward. Many people commented on how much things have improved in Stoke Newington over the last few years – cleaner streets, compulsory recycling collections, crime falling, and decent homes improvements on the estates.
However, we know there are challenges that remain – particularly over community safety, ensuring that all flats and houses on our local estates benefit from improvements, and providing more activities locally for young people. We also want to continue to make our community cleaner and greener – supporting initiatives like Transition Town Stoke Newington, and ensuring that the Council continues to take the lead over more sustainable solutions locally.
As your local councillors we are committed to:
- holding regular meetings and advice surgeries to hear your views and also provide you with up to date information on what the Council is doing in our area
- responding to the issues you raise with us by either calling on you, phoning you or writing to let you now how we’ve taken up your problem
- walking about the neighbourhood on a regular basis and reporting anything that we notice is wrong to local council officers
- raising local concerns with the police to help make our community safer
- working to improve houses and flats in the ward, making sure that local schools are of a high standard and improving community green spaces and facilities
We look forward to hearing from you - you can find all our contact details here.
Cllr Rita Krishna, Cllr Louisa Thomson and Cllr Muttalip Unluer
Your Labour councillors for Stoke Newington Central